SchoolHouse Connection e-newsletters provide timely information on federal and state policy, new resources, research, and local and state guest perspectives on innovative practices and programs. Our newsletters are archived below, and you can sign-up for updates here.
- May 8, 2018 – Input Requested for National Convening, New Research, Tricks of the Trade
- April 30, 2019 – April’s Top 7
- April 24, 2019 – Upcoming Webinars: School Attendance, Infants and Toddlers, Improving Identification
- April 16, 2019 – Five Bills to the Finish Line + Q&A + New Webinars
- April 11, 2019 – Announcing 2019 SHC Scholars
- April 4, 2019 – Bipartisan Bill to Help Homeless Children and Youth Reintroduced
- April 2, 2019 – Disrupting Generational Homelessness; Q&A; Webinars
- March 26, 2019 – March’s Top 10
- March 21, 2019 – New ZERO TO THREE Journal + Sesame Street Webinar
- March 13, 2019 – New Bill Could Make Dreams of College Come True
- March 5, 2019 – New Six-State Partnership; SHC Is Hiring; Nudging College Students To Success
- February 27, 2019 – A Dozen Bills and Counting to Help Youth Experiencing Homelessness
- February 21, 2019 – Real Families, Real Solutions; Student Loan Tip Sheets; Webinars
- February 14, 2019 – Student Homelessness Hits Record Levels; First-Ever Data on Homeless Student High School Graduation Reveals Large Gaps
- January 31, 2019 – January’s Top 10
- January 29, 2019 – Home at Head Start: New National Campaign on Homelessness
- January 24, 2019 – Education Track at National Summit, Using Chronic Absence Data, Head Start 101
- January 16, 2019 – Youth Homelessness & Higher Education: New Resources
- January 11, 2019 – The Pitfalls of HUD’s PIT Count; Sesame Storybook Available; New Webinars
- January 8, 2019 – New Congress, We’re Hiring, College Transition, Early Childhood Profiles
- December 18, 2018 – 2018 Year-in-Review & Top 5 Lists
- December 12, 2018 – Meet Lily: Sesame Street Launches National Initiative on Family Homelessness
- November 29, 2018 – Join Sesame Street for a Conversation on Family Homelessness
- November 28, 2018 – November’s Top 10
- November 19, 2018 – Big Start for 2019 State Policy; 5 California Guides; Higher Ed Webinar
- November 14, 2018 – New Research on Youth Homelessness, Tips for Positive School Discipline Practices
- November 7, 2018 – Scholarship Deadline, Positive School Discipline Webinar, Head Start Funding
- October 31, 2018 – October’s Top 10
- October 24, 2018 – It’s Here! Updated ABA Book on Homeless Education, #RealCollege Reflections, Scholarship Reminder
- October 18, 2018 – Tip Sheet for Young Parents, Q&A
- October 15, 2018 – One final request for your support.
- October 10, 2018 – Celebrate Babies 2018!
- October 2, 2018 – September’s Top 10
- September 27, 2018 – The New FAFSA, Tips for Helping Homeless Youth Succeed in College, Funding Increases
- September 18, 2018 – Disaster Response, FY19 Funding Increases, Athletic Participation
- September 13, 2018 – “For once, I was allowed to hope.”
- September 11, 2018 – New Funding Available; New Training Opportunities
- September 7, 2018 – You can help a homeless youth graduate from college.
- September 4, 2018 – The SHC Scholarship Program Application is Live!
- August 29, 2018 – State Policies on Homelessness
- August 21, 2018 – Q&A Compilation + Dorm Room Dreamz + Resource Recap
- August 16, 2018 – Help Homeless Youth be Heard: Vote for Us
- August 13, 2018 – Career & Technical Education + #NN4Y19
- August 9, 2018 – New Back-to-School Resources on Homelessness
- August 1, 2018 – From Babies to Backpacks: SHC’s Fall Webinar Line-Up
- July 30, 2018 – Banding Together to Help Homeless Students
- July 25, 2018 – A Big Win for Homeless Children and Youth
- July 9, 2018 – All the Facts about the Homeless Children & Youth Act
- June 29, 2018 – Career & Technical Education Bill Advances; Highlights of HCYA Hearing
- June 19, 2018 – New Tip Sheets for Young People; Higher Ed Webinars; Advance HCYA
- June 11, 2018 – A Conversation with Homeless Youth: Congressional Briefing
- June 8, 2018 – HUD Homeless Assistance: Guest Perspective & Legislative Hearing
- May 31, 2018 – Birth Certificates & IDs for Homeless Minors; June Webinars
- May 25, 2018 – THIS is how we end homelessness.
- May 16, 2018 – Tips for Helping Homeless Youth Get to College
- May 11, 2018 – New Research: Youth Homelessness is Family Homelessness
- May 8, 2018 – New Report: Barriers to Financial Aid for Unaccompanied Homeless Youth
- April 30, 2018 – Homeless Disaster Funding, Opioid Legislation, Housing Summit
- April 18, 2018 – Important Child Care Opportunity + Early Childhood Resources
- April 12, 2018 – We would like you to meet…
- April 9, 2018 – Breaking News: Action Needed by April 13
- April 5, 2018 – Historic Funding Increases; Gearing Up for Graduation
- March 20, 2018 – Announcing SHC Scholars + Policy Progress + New Webinars
- March 13, 2018 – Youth Voice at Title I; Childproofing Checklist; Counselor Guide
- March 8, 2018 – Breaking News: Action Needed by March 14th
- March 5, 2018 – Announcing Education Leads Home
- March 1, 2018 – New Webinars: Young Families, Graduation, Housing Partnerships
- February 14, 2018 – Budget Update + Higher Ed News + Young Parents Webinar
- February 9, 2018 – Disaster Funding for Homeless Students in the Budget Deal
- January 31, 2018 – 3 New Resources + NN4Y EDU Track
- January 17, 2018 – State Policy, Immigration Update, and More
- January 11, 2018 – Take Action TODAY for Federal Funding for Homeless Children and Youth
- January 3, 2018 – SHC is Hiring; 2018 Calendar; Webinar on Native American Students
- December 22, 2017 – 2017 Legislative Wrap Up and Look Ahead
- December 14, 2017 – 2018 Scholarship Class Selected
- December 7, 2017 – 2017 Accomplishments and Top 5 Lists
- December 4, 2017 – Fixing the FAFSA, Updated Immigrant Brief & Webinar Tomorrow
- November 27, 2017 – This is not your usual #GivingTuesday email
- November 15, 2017 – Groundbreaking Research Challenges Assumptions on Youth Homelessness
- November 6, 2017 – 3 Exciting Webinars in November
- November 2, 2017 – What it Takes to Graduate; New ESSA Tool; Q&A
- October 26, 2017 – Youth Scholarship Deadline – Two Weeks Left to Apply
- October 18, 2017 – Guess who got selected for SXSW EDU 2018?
- October 16, 2017 – New School-Housing Legislation, ESSA Tool, and Searchable Q&A
- October 10, 2017 – New Sesame Street Initiative on Trauma
- October 2, 2017 – The 2018-2019 FAFSA is Out! 5 Things You Need to Know.
- September 26, 2017 – This newsletter highlighted the new research, rights, and resources of preschool to prevent homelessness; scholarship reminder; and a featured Q&A.
- September 19, 2017 – This newsletter introduced several resources (immigration brief, Making the Case #2: Extra-curricular activities, Early Childhood Self-Assessment, new Early Care website); announced our sponsorship for an education track at the National Network for Youth’s 2018 National Summit on Youth Homelessness; and a guest perspective on how schools and individuals can help during disasters.
- September 13, 2017 – Two bills were introduced in Congress to help homeless and foster youth transition successfully to higher education and receive the financial aid and other supports they need to complete their degrees. This newsletter provides resources on how to support the bills.
- August 30, 2017 – This newsletter provides a guide for schools dealing with students displaced by disasters; introduces “Making the Case” – sharing real students’ situations and making the legal case for providing the support the students needs; welcomes SHC’s new Communications Manager, Leconte Lee; announces SHC staff’s conferences, trainings, and webinars; and a guest perspective on how a McKinney-Vento liaison experienced homelessness.
- August 8, 2017 – This newsletter announces new back to school ESSA tools on extra-curricular activities; provides an update on FY2018 appropriations for federal programs for homeless children and youth; announces SHC’s Fall webinars and “office hours,” eight new Questions and Answers from our inbox; summarizes recent media coverage, including a policy perspective on the 30th anniversary of the McKinney-Vento Act and an OpEd in Education Week, and a guest perspective on person-first language from Jordyn Roark.
- July 11, 2017 – This newsletter discusses why increasing numbers of students experiencing homelessness reported by school districts might be a good thing; provides a look at an innovative school-housing partnership in Chicago that serves homeless families who are “doubled-up;” summarizes provisions on homelessness in the recently-passed House bill on career and technical education; announces many new resources, including archived webinars and a new legal network for homeless youth; provides five new Questions and Answers from our in-box; and includes a powerful guest perspective from Dakota Chronis on health care, homelessness, and education.
- June 20, 2017 – This newsletter announces two new reports on children and youth experiencing homelessness, including state progress reports; describes SchoolHouse Connection Young Leaders visit to the U.S. Capitol and to the U.S. Department of Education; offers two guest perspectives from SHC Young Leaders; and announces two June webinars to kick off SHC new webinar series.
- June 6, 2017 – This Special Edition describes a Congressional briefing on family homelessness; a premiere of the short film, Nowhere to Go: Family Homelessness in America; and a guest perspective on HUD homelessness policy from Kera Pingree, a Youth Advisor for the National Network for Youth.
- May 24, 2017 – This newsletter describes the President’s FY2018 budget proposal and homelessness; announces SHC’s new early childhood initiative, and two upcoming Congressional briefings; provides information on three new early childhood resources, including Sesame Street in Communities and state child care plans; includes more questions and answers from our inboxes; and offers a guest perspective on three case studies in early childhood, by Lisa Berglund.
- May 9, 2017 – This newsletter summarizes funding levels for federal education and homeless programs in the final Fiscal Year 2017 budget; provides an in-depth look at new opportunities for serving children and youth experiencing homelessness in Title I, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act as amended by ESSA; announces SHC’s new state policy program; includes more questions and answers from our inboxes; and offers a guest perspective by Nakita Scott, school social worker, Polk County, FL, about how she uses policy and practice to meet the needs of unaccompanied homeless youth.
- April 24, 2017 – This newsletter announces SHC’s new Youth Leadership and Scholarship Program; a proposed change to the 2018-2019 FAFSA that would make it easier for unaccompanied homeless youth to access financial aid; three new ESSA resources, including guidelines for designated LEA and building liaisons, a summary of state credit accrual policies, and a practical webinar; more questions and answers from our in-box from liaisons and state coordinators; and a guest perspective essay from Lizzy Shoben, who shares her experiences seeking financial aid as a unaccompanied homeless youth.
- March 27, 2017 – This newsletter includes a call to action on protecting funding for homeless children and youth programs; an update on the Homeless Children and Youth Act; a new PowerPoint template for ESSA training on homeless children and youth; more questions and answers from our in-box from liaisons and state coordinators; and a guest perspective essay from Anne Giordano, Early Education Consultant with EduCare in Litchfield, CT.
- March 15, 2017– This Special Edition includes information on new bipartisan legislation to help homeless children, youth, and families; three new studies that show the significant and harmful impact of homelessness on children and youth, from early childhood through post-secondary education; and the U.S. Department of Education’s new ESSA state plan template.
- March 9, 2017 – This newsletter includes an update on budget cuts and homeless children and youth; the Senate vote to rescind the ESSA regulations on state plans and accountability; new guidance from the U.S. Department of Education; a new short article on ESSA and the McKinney-Vento Act; new state laws empowering homeless youth; more questions and answers from our in-box from liaisons and state coordinators; and a guest perspective essay from Roxana Parish, liaison from Bellingham Public Schools, WA.
- February 21, 2017 – This newsletter includes an update on ESSA regulations and McKinney-Vento state plans; a new SchoolHouse Connection report on the challenges that unaccompanied homeless youth face in accessing federal financial aid; more cogent questions and answers from our in-box; an essay from Anthony Kibble about his work as a new McKinney-Vento state coordinator, including Oklahoma’s new state law defining homeless children and youth; and a new resource of short training videos.
- February 7, 2017 – This newsletter includes Betsy DeVos’ comments on the needs of students experiencing homelessness and in foster care; an update on the status of Congressional efforts to prevent implementation of ESSA regulations; important child care resources, with a spotlight on Idaho and Florida; a new online housing resource; excellent questions from our in-box; and “No Quitting Today!,” a powerful essay on the importance of stability for students, and for homeless liaisons.
- January 27, 2017 – This newsletter includes a federal policy update on Congressional budget debates; an article on the importance of state policy change, including a proposed bill to help unaccompanied homeless youth in Wyoming; new resources on ESSA and preschool; and powerful guest perspectives from a formerly homeless student and a school district liaison.