SchoolHouse Connection e-newsletters provide timely information on federal and state policy, new resources, research, and local and state guest perspectives on innovative practices and programs. Our newsletters are archived below, and you can sign-up for updates here.
- Volume 3, Issue 2 – March 27, 2017 – This newsletter includes a call to action on protecting funding for homeless children and youth programs; an update on the Homeless Children and Youth Act; a new PowerPoint template for ESSA training on homeless children and youth; more questions and answers from our in-box from liaisons and state coordinators; and a guest perspective essay from Anne Giordano, Early Education Consultant with EduCare in Litchfield, CT.
- Special Edition – Breaking News – March 15, 2017– This Special Edition includes information on new bipartisan legislation to help homeless children, youth, and families; three new studies that show the significant and harmful impact of homelessness on children and youth, from early childhood through post-secondary education; and the U.S. Department of Education’s new ESSA state plan template.
- Volume 3, Issue 1 – March 9, 2017 – This newsletter includes an update on budget cuts and homeless children and youth; the Senate vote to rescind the ESSA regulations on state plans and accountability; new guidance from the U.S. Department of Education; a new short article on ESSA and the McKinney-Vento Act; new state laws empowering homeless youth; more questions and answers from our in-box from liaisons and state coordinators; and a guest perspective essay from Roxana Parish, liaison from Bellingham Public Schools, WA.
- Volume 2, Issue 2 – February 21, 2017 – This newsletter includes an update on ESSA regulations and McKinney-Vento state plans; a new SchoolHouse Connection report on the challenges that unaccompanied homeless youth face in accessing federal financial aid; more cogent questions and answers from our in-box; an essay from Anthony Kibble about his work as a new McKinney-Vento state coordinator, including Oklahoma’s new state law defining homeless children and youth; and a new resource of short training videos.
- Volume 2, Issue 1 – February 7, 2017 – This newsletter includes Betsy DeVos’ comments on the needs of students experiencing homelessness and in foster care; an update on the status of Congressional efforts to prevent implementation of ESSA regulations; important child care resources, with a spotlight on Idaho and Florida; a new online housing resource; excellent questions from our in-box; and “No Quitting Today!,” a powerful essay on the importance of stability for students, and for homeless liaisons.
- Volume 1, Issue 1 – January 27, 2017 – This newsletter includes a federal policy update on Congressional budget debates; an article on the importance of state policy change, including a proposed bill to help unaccompanied homeless youth in Wyoming; new resources on ESSA and preschool; and powerful guest perspectives from a formerly homeless student and a school district liaison.